Tuesday 30 August 2011

Happy Birthday!

It is Get Forked's first birthday. A year ago today, I sat down and wrote about a soggy Japanese meal with friends. It was so wet, I took off my shoes to dry off my socks whilst we ate beautiful soft-shelled crab and braised pork. Since then, there have been a (rather measly) 60 posts ranging from an attempt to cook something from every cookbook I own (fat chance) to a much anticipated anniversary lunch at Dinner


Looking back, it's hard to say which meal was my favourite. Some of my happiest dining memories of the last year are of our family meals: at the Hinds Head, Les Deux Salons and Trullo. However, if pressed I'd have to say that Morito was probably as interesting and enjoyable: the cosy little bar, the wonderfully sea-scented scallops and the mussel pie all strong arguments in its favour. Yet even with all that, it doesn't quite match up to the brilliance of the Corner Room, my favourite meal of the last year and, coincidentally, the most popular post on this blog.


We're in France at the moment and so will celebrate the blog's birthday in Gallic style with steak, cheese and tarte au citron. Thank you to everyone who has read the blog, waited while I photograph meals and generally encouraged me over the past year. Most of all to Mr F, who persuaded me, twelve months ago, to give blogging a shot. 


Get Forked will be back in September, reinvigorated from its holiday, starting with an account of what happens when you start chatting to two serious French gentlemen about champagne, coq au vin and the London riots.

Au revoir et merci!

1 comment: