Monday 3 January 2011

The Cookbook Challenge: My New Year's Resolution

I own just shy of 100 cookbooks. I am not sure of the exact number: there are 88 books in my small flat, one new purchase en route from Amazon and several on loan to my mum. These have been accumulated through various means: internet impulse purchases, birthday presents and precious inheritance from my grandmothers. Although this is not an altogether ridiculous library; rather unforgivably, I rarely follow the recipes they contain. This was brought to my attention just before Christmas: when passing an idle half hour with one of my books and resolving to use it soon, I happened upon the dedication at the front. It was from Mr F, wishing me a Happy Christmas for 2009. Slightly horrified, I realised I had not cooked from a book that I had owned for a year. I had read it a few times and been inspired but never followed a recipe from start to finish.

That was when the idea formed. In 2011, I would resolve to cook at least one recipe from each of my cookbooks.


I have counted the contents of my flat, arranged to collect the book-debt at my parents' house and blocked Amazon from my computer for twelve months. The Challenge starts here...

2 comments:

  1. I decided to do that once, but failed.
    Must try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the hardest part will be not buying any new books from Amazon. I suck at that.

    ReplyDelete